Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Time for a change

The story on how I got myself into this...

The year following the twins birth was a rough one, for a multitude of reasons

1. There was two of them and one of me
2. I was breastfeeding & chose to be off TOBI
3. I had a C Section & was on IV immediately after delivery for 3 weeks
4. We had to limit visitors early on because of their prematurity
5. I wound up with kidney stones
6. Got the flu in July '09 for the first time ever - 2 weeks of home IV
7. Boys both got RSV in Dec '09 and I wound up sick - 2 weeks of home IV

I could go on but you get the point. I wasn't sleeping well for a long time. Fitting in two treatments a day was impossible. July '09 my lung function was the wost I've ever seen it, but I wasn't feeling well and thought I would get back to my baseline once the first year was over. I just didn't have time to think about anything other than the babies at that point in time. I was getting by doing the bear minimum vest & nebulizer treatments. I had very little energy to do anything and looking back I was probably somewhat depressed feeling "trapped" inside my home that first year. It was extremely difficult to go anywhere alone with two babies. It was near impossible to go even food shopping with two infants in carseats. I was very lucky to have my mom with me to help while DH was at work. But I'm getting side tracked here

After my 2 weeks of IV's in December '09 something clicked inside me and I knew I needed to get my butt in gear somehow. My lungs weren't magically going to get better on their own without some hard work on my part. Every now & then I would log on the CF Forums and there would be post after post about how another CFer had lost their battle. For the first time I was actuallly scared for my future. I was angry at myself for not trying harder, for underestimating what CF can do in such a short amount of time. I want to live, for myself, for my husband, for my children. And not just live, I want to have energy, run with them, dance with them, play with them. I woke up one day and joined a fitness center and began swimming again. For the first time in probably close to 7 years I was exercising again. Slow at first, I would swim freestyle one lap then have to breast stroke one lap. I think I might have done 8 laps that first swim. By April I was swimming 12-15 laps only slowing with a breast stroke every 3rd lap.

In April my friend Joe asked me to run a 5K with him in June. I thought no problem, I could build up to that by June. The following week I was on the CF Forums and saw a post from Jerry Cahill about spots on Team Boomer for the NYC Marathon. I didn't respond that day, but I couldn't stop thinking about it. And I don't remember when but I called my good friend Dr. G (my CF peds) and she told me to go for it. She is an avid runner herself. I called Jerry and signed up for Team Boomer. Looked on line and found a good training program I thought I would be able to follow and here I am now, almost 1/2 way there. I cross train by swimming and can now swim close to 3/4 mile freestyle! I'll get further into details about how I physically felt the first 1/2 of training in a later post. I must call it a night.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! I saw your post on the CFF facebook page and thought I would come over and take a look. My name is Katie, I am 25 years old and have CF as well. I am also the mother of an extremely active todder (you are my hero with two!). I just wanted to let you know how much this post touched me because it sums up a lot of how I have been feeling lately. The past year of my life has probably been my most stressfull yet, and my health has paid the price with lowered PFT's to prove it. I just recently realized I need to get my butt in gear again and become the active person I once was....my health, my life, depends on it. Best of luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete